Department of Public Works

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1 The street I live on (Altadena Drive between Marengo and Fair Oaks) doesnt have sidewalks on one side of the street. How do we get a sidewalk built on this side, or is this not something the County would do for us?
2 Subject: Question regarding Horse Trails in L.A. County Will you please advise who maintains the horse trails in L.A. County, especially the ones that run along the 605 freeway and along the bike routes in the City of Norwalk? Also, are there certain hours that the horse trails can be used? Thank you! Kathleen M. Palomares Office Assistant I Department of Public Safety Substation 10921 Firestone Boulevard Norwalk, CA 90650 (562) 929-5685; Fax: (562) 929-5687
3 A group of home owners in benedict canyon would like to institute an assessment district paid through their property taxes for the installation of street lighting and underground utilities. Can you help or refer me to someone that can tell me if any bond program is available for infrastructure replacement?
4 How long is a permit good for?
5 How can I obtain a copy of the codes?
6 What are permit fees based on?
7 Where can I find the original plans for my house?
8 I've been told that I don't need permits for buildings that are 120 sq. ft. or less. Is that true?
9 How big and how high can I build my house or room addition?
10 How long is a Building application plan check good for?
11 How do I report a violation (construction without a permit)?
12 I searched for updated Los Andges County Building Code on your website but its not published on-line. Where can I get a copy, or what website I can get the new LAC building code? Thank you.
13 I am trying to obtain a performance bond in order to get a contract with the County of Los Angeles. Can you please give me information on what the requirements are for a performance bond or where I can find the requirements? Thank you. Sheila Claiborne
14 Where are your Permit Offices and what hours are they open?
15 How do I obtain a copy of the County of Los Angeles Building Code and Electrical Code?
16 How do I obtain a copy of the County of Los Angeles Plumbing Code and Mechanical Code?
17 I would like to know whether there are plans to build a freeway noise wall along the 170 freeway.
18 Does a 96 square foot playhouse with a projected square foot area of 120 square feet require a permit? How large can it be? (Unincorperated LA County) Thank You
19 I am considering purchasing a lot in Altadena, Woodbury Heights area, to subdivide into 6 parcels and constructing 6 affordable housing units with a private drive. The lot is approximately 30,000 sf. There are 4 existing parcels on the same block that are 50 x 54, which is basically what I would like to do, as well as other multi-family property across the street and surrounding area. My questions are 1) who can I talk to at the County, prior to purchasing the property, to discuss the feasibility, and 2) what the procedure and lead times are for approval? Your prompt response is appreciated. Thanks, Mittry Mor
20 Are there building codes (within Antelope Valley) against homes built from shipping containers? I have been researching this as a way to construct a home from these containers while using solar and/or wind power. I know that there is a company building these in San Fernando Valley but wondered where to start looking for the Antelope Valley for regulations and how "green" a house is allowed.
21 i would like information on replacing centerline monuments in the city of Azusa, we will be doing topo and resurfacing on Foothill Blvd. some monuments may be destroyed, what type of monument do we replace these with, do you have a Standard for this. if so please provide me with a path to it, also do you have a path to you mapping, record of survey, parcel map, tract map standards.
22 Is it possible to place a staff directory on the Internet?
23 What are the permit fees based on?
24 What is the formula that the county uses for slope analysis? ie.. to determine the percent of slope on my lot.
25 I am a graduate student at the University of Southern California studying transportation engineering. I am doing a final project for one of my classes in which we are redesigning an intersection which includes a nearby bus stop. For our design, we would like to show the option of adding a bench for the bus stop. Could you tell me how much a bus bench costs? I understand that sometimes you can install advertising bus benches at no cost to the county. What qualifies for these types of benches (i.e. are there only certain areas that advertisers are interested in)? We also are interested in planting one to three trees for our design. Can you provide any information on the cost of planting and maintaining different trees? Thank you.
26 Does the County of Los Angeles require a minumum setback distance from the trace of an active fault for development of a single family residence in an unincorporated area? Or does the County rely on the setback established by the State?
27 Does the County now have the latest "Standard types of subdivision Certificates and acknowledgements" available on the internet?
28 What is the fee for Final Map processing? Do your Filing Fees include the permit fee? If not, where can I find information on the permit fees? Thank you.
29 How can we get hooked up to the sewer system? We have approx 25 homes not currently connected and experiencing major septic problems.
30 Where can I locate the county standards for installation of a sanitary sewer and a lift pump to the county sewer line.
31 I need to acquire a copy of the county's hillside ordinance for a single-family residential project in Los Angeles county.
32 Would you let me know where can I find a Tax Bond Form and information as to where to process. I already have the tax bond amount. Thank you
33 I need to pull a parcel map # for a site in alhambra. The owner wants me to map all of his property. One piece of his property lies across the street from the larger piece. Can I use the same map # for subdividing all of his property on both sides of the street? How do I apply for a subdivision # ?
34 I received a list of required fees and materials for separate document submittals in regards to a proposed easement for sewer purposes and was curious as to where I may find two of the documents; full sized copies of any recorded maps, as well as recorded easement documents. Any references would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
35 what is the procedure in LAC for merging and resubdividing a final map as per section 66499.20 1/2 of the map act? what is the procedure in LAC for reversion to acreage for a final map as per sections 66499.11 et seq of the map act? please provide any applicable local ordinance requirements thank you
36 I am currently looking into a piece of land apn#2063-007-021 Tract 29277 Lot 1 and want to know if the land can be subdivided into 3 parcels and how to go about it if possible.
37 My husband and I are co-owners of a piece of land in Lancaster, LA County. Actually we have a total of 4 families owing the land. Now we decided to divide the land into 4 parcels so we can each own individual property. Please advise what forms we need to use to apply for the land division. Also, please advise, how much does it cost for the division? Hope I can hear from asap. Tracy Wang
38 How can I obtain parcels (polygons preferable) and street centerlines (with address ranges) in ESRI shapefile format? I am interested in the entire county, not just the city and zip entered above. I have been unable to find any resources other than the GIS data viewer. It is helpful to an extent, but having the actual data to display in our GIS would be much better. Thanks David Wisbey NSD Maps A division of Datamap Intelligence, LLC
40 I am new in town and would like to know how to get a copy of your latest design standards. Also, where would I find manhole spacing requirements for storm drain and sewer based on mainline pipe diameter??
41 Hello I am a surveyor from out of county and am trying to do some research on a parcel. I need Tract Map no. 23145 recorded in Map Book 631-90-92. Is there somewhere online where I can retrieve recorded maps in Los Angeles County? If not who do I call or e-mail to request a copy of the plat. Thank You. John
43 I live in the unincorporated part of Covina. This area is considered a high-fire area. I have about 7 neighbors that clearly do not maintain their weeds and dead brush. Who do I contact to report this?
44 the railroad tracks running through our area have been taken over by home owners, extending fences onto the areas near the tarcks. the area i am refering to is one of the bigger eye sores in our town. decaying ply wood, trash and all kinds of odd building materials and the taggers love the place. can anyone force these people to clean this up, how about the railroad do they have any interest in getting people off there land dose my local goverment Rep care. where do i start? HELP PLEASE
45 I live in Glendora in an area that lands in the LA County, not Glendora City, juristiction. I am doing some long term planing for some landscaping plans ideas my family is exploring. I need to discuss setbacks or any other guildlines we should be aware of. Who should I discuss this with? Or is there an on line resource I can referance? Thanks in advance for your efforts and input!
46 Where can I see--or acquire--a parcel map (Subdivision) in order to check notations, easements, &c. LACO local Office in Calabasas? Alhambra?
47 We are preparing a final parcel map in the City of Arcadia. Does the County do the plan checking? If so, what are the fees and do you have an application for filing the map?
48 Who do I contact to get a copy of a lot split that is occuring in the unincorporated area of Los Angeles County?
49 I am preparing a tentative map in the Temple City and wanted to get the County standards for private driveway with cul-de-sac. I downloaded the private drive-local cul-de-sac w/parallel parking and the private drive local from your website. What I am looking for are the design standards for the cul-de-sac (ie. min. radius).
50 What is the minimum text height for a Public Works Street Plan?
51 Do I need a permit to park a trash container in the street?
52 As a developer, how would I obtain the necessary permits for the construction of roads, sewers, storm drains, and utilities for a new development.
53 How do I find current information about current and future commercial and residential construction planning/progress? Thanks -
54 . . . (coming soon) - I need to know # copies required for MTD Storm Drain Plan submittal. Folded or Not. Drainage Plan, Hydrology-Drainage Calcs, anything else ? Please advise - thank you, in advance - Don
55 I would like to obtain a copy of California Urban Runoff Best Management Practices Handbooks for Construction Activity, Municipal and Industrial/Commercial. Can you please provide directions on how to get a copy?
56 Do I need a permit to put up a sign on my own property?
57 Who do I contact to file a claim with the County?
58 What is a Construction Permit?
59 We added a family room off our garage without the proper permit and am now in the process of selling this home. I want to include this additional square footage to the total square footage of my home, but understand that it must first be approved. How can I get this approved now?
60 I am fairly certain that there is a County Storm Drain at a specific location in the City of Carson; but, it doesn't appear on the GIS and there is no link to view the plans. How can I find these plans?
61 I have a problem concerning a Transportation Permit. My max width should be 12' 0" and max height should be 14' 0", but the permit prints "Legal" in these fields. Can this problem be corrected.
62 I want to dig a hole for a flag pole and mail box. It requires a concrete anchor and may be several feet deep. How do I find out where any underground utilities might be located so that I can avoid them?
63 Are electronic files of the standard plans available on line for use as a reference?
64 What is the recommended horizontal and vertical separation for underground utilities?
65 Do I need a permit to cut or prune my oak tree?
66 Do I need a permit to place a dumpster in front of my house?
67 How would I get the most current information about prevailing wages (rates, etc.)?
68 Where can I find specific laws regarding the removal and/or trimming of Oak trees? What is the process for getting a permit to remove them if a permit is necessary to remove them?
69 I am looking for the sewer wye maps and depth of the sewer main. I am also looking for sub-structures other than sewers.
70 There is construction work in my street which is causing various types of problems. Who do I call?
71 Is someone authorized to ask for donations for painting my address on the curb?
72 Does L.A. County have any seismic codes requiring owners of pre 1975 concrete tilt up buildings to retrofit said buildings?
73 I would like to know the location, depth and the size of a sewer line out in the street?
74 I am proposing to construct an extension to my existing property, and I was told that I can obtain "Drainage Release Covenants" from my neighbors as an alternate to completing a hydrology study. (The extension will infringe on the "flood fringe" by 6 feet.) Are there standard forms which the County has for such Drainage Release Covenants?
75 Where can I obtain standard plans on your internet site?
76 Where is the website for obtaining lists of upcoming major construction projects out for bid?
77 How can I obtain the original plans for my house?
78 Is there a way to get a drawing (on-line) of my property that includes the property-lines and my house situated within the property?
79 Can I obtain a copy of the construction plans submitted by the builder for my house?
80 What is the term of a Subdivision Tax Bond?
81 I would like to put a sidewalk in the small access between my front lawn and the street. The property is currently grass/weeds. Other houses on my street have sidewalk sections but not all. What permits are required and what requirements must I consider if I decide to do it myself?
82 Can you help me get information on the number of commercial building permits issued in Los Angeles County in 2000 and 2001? Do you have the $ value of the construction?
83 I live in the unicorporated area of Monrovia and would like to build a block wall 6 feet high. Do I need a permit for this?
84 What type of permit(s) are needed for a swimming pool in the County?
85 I am considering building a concrete wall between my house and my neighbor's. What are the necessary procedures? Do I need to obtain a permit? If so, what are the building rules & regulations necessary to obtain a permit? Do I need to have a survey for the site? How is the cost determined by two parties?
86 Is construction of a detached wood frame garage generally permitted within an Earthquake Fault Zone Non-Structural Setback Zone?
87 Q1: What is the width and length of a handicapped parking stall for a park in LA county? Q2: What is the width and length of a regular car parking stall for a park in LA County also?
88 Is the Standard Specifications for Public Works Construction located on-line? Can you please advise where on-line these specifications can be found?
89 Can I obtain zoning information regarding property in Los Angeles County via the internet?
90 Are there current versions of the "Gray Book", Flood Control Standard Drawings, and Sanitation District Standard Drawings available?
91 What considerations for wheelchair travel along Grand Ave during construction have been made?
92 My land is in flood zone A ,what does it mean? Thanks
93 How can I find information about open bids and RFPs or awarded bids and contracts?
94 Can a person check for Los Angeles County permits via the Internet?
95 In addition to the items listed below, what will be needed at the time of filing an application for a permit for a 6 stall breezeway/shedrow horse barn. 1. Plot plan approval (2 sets) 2. Engineered Structural calculations (2 sets) 3. Engineered drawings (2 sets)
96 I am buying some property and I would like to have the land surveyed. Would this be done by the county? If not, how would I do this?
97 I am planning to convert a closet into a bathroom and add a small addition to my house (about 400 square feet). Do I need a building permit, and if so, what is the procedure to obtain one?
98 I am planning to add a small addition to my house (about 400 square feet). Do I need professionally drafted plan or can I draw one as the owner? About how long would it take to obtain a permit?
99 A few weeks ago, I was able to find a listing online of the requirements for a building permit such as what size building does and doesn't require a building permit. During the last few days, I have been unable to refind this info. If this info is still available online, please provide the link info.
100 what are the approved materials for sanitary sewer pipes : RCP, Clay, plastic ( brand / type ), HDPE ...etc Are there any available standards & details for these pipes from the current City design plan / manuals? How to obtain a copy ?
101 Can government plats be acquired by other means besides visiting the survey public counter at DPW Headquarters?
102 What are the rear and side required setbacks as well as required rear yard open area and any relevant building plans requirements for room addition?
103 Do I need a permit to put a fense around my house?
104 I was wondering if the fact that new housing developments have underground utilities such as phone and electrical vs. above ground found in older areas is due to a code change. If so, what is the code and when did it go into effect?
105 Looking for "structural observation program and designation of the structural observer" form to place on construction plans per plan checker request.
106 Do you have your rough grading certification and precise grading certification forms on your website?
107 I plan to build a 3 feet high free-standing block wall in my backyard along my property line. However, the block wall will be situated along the edge of a downward slope of about 10 feet high. Do I need to get a permit for building this block wall?
108 I am looking for the standards on a full set of construction documents. I also need updated information for building codes for those projects (residential) to be built in the flight zone of LAX. I am looking at adding 1200 to 1800 s.f. to my existing home and remodeling the interior of the existing. I plan on undertaking this project as owner operator.
109 I purchased a home that has unpermitted additions and conversions. Is there a such thing as "as is" permits since I have no information on who built them. Can/will the city fine me for having these unpermitted conversion/additions on my property? Is tearing them down mandatory?
110 My neighbor is building a playhouse that is about 12 feet tall with posts anchored in concrete. The Playhouse is set back from my back yard fence approximately 2 feet (23 inches) from my property line/fence. Is there a minimum set back for this kind of construction? Did they need a permit? Do I have any recourse if this is not to code?
111 1 Which Plumbing Code is now in effect and for how long ? 2 I haven't worked in LA County in a few years and need to come to the counter and ask s few questions to the mechanical plan checker, I need help sizing a water system for an up coming job, my question is : Can I get help over the counter and where ?
113 If someone purchases a home in Altadena and wishes to make improvements, including additional space, what are the basic limitations on adding new square footage? I believe that in Pasadena, the maximum lot coverage is around 35%. Also, would a basement count as lot coverage if it also serves as a footing for new living space?
114 We want to build a two car garage in the front of our house. 1.What are the setback requirements from street and side property line, size & height limits, and other restrictions we need to know? 2. Where do we get permits, and which ones do we need? 3. Is there a way to determine our property lines without having to hire a surveyor?
115 I reside in North San Gabriel under the County unincorporate area. The property's lot size is about 55ft x 150ft. It's a one-story house. I would like to tear it down completely, and build a two-story with about 2500 sq ft. Please advice the contact information and the proper procedures on how to acquire the construction approval from the County.
116 Can I obtain Records of Survey Guidelines over the Internet?
117 Concerning a 8'X16'storage shed, can you tell me what the setback is for a shed from the property line/fence? Also, what is the procedure to obtain permission to have the shed under an Oak tree? I've been told that the shed can not be under the drip area of the tree and I would need permission to build a shed under the tree.
118 I live in the second house of a 4 house private street. We all share a common driveway. My neighbor at the above address built a 7-8 foot concrete wall dividing our properties. It has created a huge blind spot for the back 3 houses. Is there a height limit? Also, my understanding is that this wall is called a return wall. It ends at my garage wall and turns in onto my property and meets my garage. At the other end of my garage, a 3 ft. wall existed. This wall was extended up to approx. 7 feet and another return wall meets the back end of my garage wall. I have no access to my garage wall or the full perimeter of my property. It is now a part of my neighbors back yard. Is a permit required for this? What can be done to regain access to the full perimeter of my property. Also, this wall was built on the 3 gas lines of the back houses including mine. How can I find out that this wall was built correctly on top of our gas lines? Thank you.
119 I'm looking to develope the property at the above intersection. I can't develope this property because, there is no water that goes to the property. I applied for a USAD loan, but was turned down soley because of this water proplem. I need help. Who can I go to?
120 I would like a copy of Table 4-1 from the Los Angeles County Plumbing Code. Where can I find this?
121 I'm considering remodeling my kitchen which will include new cabinets, new appliances, flooring, some electrical, a range hood and homemade cabinets. It may also possibly including removing a load-bearing wall and replacing it with a beam. What permits will I need, and do I need a structural engineer to evaluate the beam before installation? Do I need approval before putting the beam in? Lastly, are there any restrictions on homemade cabinets regarding types of finishes?
122 I have a question. If someone wants to build in L.A. County, do they my code and law, must have a L.A. County address? This question pertains to someone wishing to build in L.A. County, but using a Ventura County address. This is a County Line question.
123 I am researching recorded property lines with regards to a disputed fence installation by the developer. Is this information now available to me and how do I obtain it?
124 My neighbor built a storage shed attaching to my detached garage and it encroaches 2 ft into my property line, what can I do?
125 Are permits required to build a backyard bbq island with a pergola covering it? pergola is free standing. what are the footing requirements?
126 Do I need a permit to build a front yard fence with a drive way entrance fence, made of wrought iron and stucco/brick poles, with an intended height of 48 to 52"? I have little kids and would like to close the open front yard/drive way for security reasons, ASAP. Please confirm. Thank you,
127 Can a property get a building permit with a well on another parcel a block away ( Approx. 2,000 feet or more)on private property?
128 When is a geotechnical report required in the unincorporated area of LA County? What triggers the requirement? Steepness? Fill? Scope of work? Would a Geo report be required to partially rebuild a fire damaged structure on a 1940's era filled pad? Thanks, R.
129 What is section 609.7 of the Los Angeles County Plumbing Code and what does it say -- I can't seem to find it on the web
130 Are copies of permit records for properties (in the unincorporated Los Angeles County area) from the Building and Safety District Field Office in Arcadia available by mail, and what is the fee?
131 Can I get permit to build a house on vacant land?
132 My client is searching for a office/warehouse/manufacturing building. They manufacture aftermarket motorcycle parts. In the fabrication process they use the following machines: CNC machines, tig & mig welding, punch presses (over 20 ton rating) metal grinding and polishing (with dust collector.) They were presented with this building and told that is was in a M1.5 Zone. I am familiar with M1 Zone in the City of Los Angeles and have a have a print out of the regulations from their (City of L.A.) website. But I am not familiar with L.A. County zone regulations. Is there a list I can print out from your website or a list I can review in order to direct my client.
133 I am wanting to build on property that is 5 lots side by side and that are sub-sized. How do I reposition the property lines so instead of now having 5 lots there will be 4 lots that would be then sized to be able to build wider housing?
134 A neighbor up the street installed an aluminum garage on their property. In the windstorm last month it partially blew over. It is still sitting there in disrepair. Is such a type of structure legal?
135 My buyer's home inspector says the water heater in my garage needs a down spout from the pressure relief valve. Where does this downspout need to terminate to be up to building code? The hardware store salesman suggests that we use flexible copper braided hose that terminates a few inches above the garage floor. The inspector states it has to drain to the outside of the house which does not seem practical. Please help.
136 Are there any specific foundation underpinning requirements for a two story addition on an existing 12" footing.
137 Upon doing a large room addition can I install a kitchenette. Or is it permited to build a quest house on the property for my mother to stay in?
138 I would like to change my old Aluminum frame single glass to a double glazed glass Retro-Fit. Do I have to obtain a building permit? As someone said, we don't need to have a permit if we have not changed the frame. With Retro-Fit windows, we keep the old windows frame. Is that truth?? Thank you for your answering.
139 1) What does the LADPW require for deputy inspectors to work, re: certifications, project registration, fees, etc.? 2) Do the same requirements apply to all offices listed, district AND contract city? 3) Do contract cities have additional city requirements?
140 I want to put paving on private dirt road and build a house in an unicorporated area of the county, the area does not have power or sewers. How would I find out the process to legally pave and build a house and put in a septic system, if power is not financially accessable can I build the house and use a propane generator instead of hooking up to Edison power over 1 mile away?
141 Hello, I am a resident of Val Verde, California. We recently had some very severe flooding that caused mudslides and other damage. I have mud that is three feet deep piled against the back of my house. I have many questions such as are there people who will help me get my house out of the mud?? Where do I put the dirt if I am lucky enough to find people to help me?? etc... Any help you could give me would be very appreciated! Thank you.
142 I wish to protect the cars in my driveway during the summer heat an inclimate weather. I understand there is a 20-foot setback to the front of a structure, but does this also apply to an aluminum/steel carport with open sides? Thank you for your time.
143 What the owner needs: Platt map showing septic tank and leech line location. Filed by builder to get building/Septic system permit. This is required to get permit and Health Dept. approval to replace the septit tank. I am the Realtor and agent for the owner. Thank you.
144 For a project that will be submittted for a permit, what is the applicable building code and model code?
145 Do I need to provid gas auto shut-off valve before on the market? Which city or county required gas auto shut-off valve? Thanks
146 1. building set backs all property lines 2. min square footage lot size to build home 3. contact numbers
147 I have a guy who is putting in a sliding door. Does he need T-24 Energy Calcs? If so, is there a simple form for meeting Package D requirements or does the project need to be modeled by computer?
148 I received a Notice of Violation for addition and alteration to 2nd dwelling unit above garage. I've been requested to submit plans for the cited work. Is it possible for me to get plans for this addition that has already been completed and is it acceptable?
149 Firstly: Does one need a permit to cut steps into a slope on one's property, i.e. with RR ties and gravel fill, in order to more easily access nearby hiking trails? Secondly: Do steps like these have to remain within the 10,000 sq. ft. 'building footprint' as possibly required by this part of the county?
151 I am looking for a structural set of plans for this commercial buidling. Where do I go to get copies of these plans?
152 Want a fence is not maintianed around an old swimming pool, can the building depatment force them to repair the fence?
153 I'm looking for some general information about processing a lot line adjustment in the County of Los Angeles. I've been unable to reach anyone at the Regional Planning Department who can help me. 1) Who is the contact person at the County who shepherds a lot line application through the process? 2) At some point, or at several points, is Planning Department review a part of the process? 3) Must a recorded Record of Survey be attached to a lot line adjustment application (in addition to the worded legal description of the property to be adjusted), which shows where the existing property line is, and where the new line will be? 4) Is there a limit to the number of adjusted lots that can be referenced in one lot line adjustment application? 5) What is the estimated time it takes from filing a lot line adjustment application, through recording it with the Los Angeles County Recorder?
154 How or where can I apply for a county plumber's license and how much are the fee's for obtaining this license?
155 Where can I obtain specific zoning details if I have an APN or just thomas guide coordinates? Is there some site I can just input nfo and get the zoning ordinance?
156 does a person need an excavation permit for dumping dirt in his yard?
157 What agency holds and governs building plans in the County and/or city of Los Angeles?
158 There is an 18' sewer easement running along the north edge (rear) of a property zoned R3, if apartments were constructed on the property, would uncovered parking and/or a drive isle be permitted over the easement? Also, is landscaping and site lighting permitted within the easement?
159 I don't know if this is the right department, but I have a question and hope you can answer it. If this is not the right department will you forward it to the right department? My husband and I are looking at a 20 acre piece of property located in LA county, on Big Pines Hwy just west of Largo Vista Rd. I have a copy of the county Assessor's map T.4 N., R. 9 W. parcel number 4, code 4666. We have a geological survey map showing the property in the San andreas Rift Zone. My question is, can a residential home be built on this property? Can you send us the CC &Rs, and the owners name and address? Thank you
160 Is California governed by the Uniform Plumbing Code or the International Plumbing Code? What does Los Angeles County actually go by in respect to its inspections?
161 What are the guidelines for the installation of solar photovoltaic systems in LA County?
162 The property at the listed address has a seepage pit that seems to be overflowing. It drains across a public road, onto my property, down my driveway and stands on Topanga Canyon Blvd. This situation has existed for a long time. As I read the codes, that situation makes the house uninhabitable. Can Building and Safety terminate this nuisance?
163 My neighbor wants to install a fence between our properties. I had a surveyor survey the property lines last year. Now that we both know where the property line is between the two houses, she wants to install the fence right on the property line. This will result in making holes on the brick wall between the two houses. Not even mentioning about the view that's going to be limited, it will ruin the brick walls I cherish as part of the driveway. What is the guidelines about building a fence on the property, especially when my neighbor wants to install one without my consent. I guess I can't stop her installing one on her property but I want to know if there's any way I can stop her from making holes right on the property line. Thank you for your response.
164 I recently sold a house in unincorporated Whittier. The buyer was aware that the back room is not permitted. I also told the realtor that the den area was built before I purchased the house and was also unpermitted. The realtor told the new buyers that the den was grandfathered in and didn't document it in the paperwork. Now, the buyers are having an issue with this. How am I liable for this? Am I liable? Is the realtor liable?
166 I have a family friend that they've just bought a house in Temple City, Los Angeles County. When they bought it, the agent showed them the county record as living area is 1847 sq.ft. (The lot size is over 9,000). But after they closed Escrow, they would like to apply a Patio Enclosed permit from Temple City city hall since it was rainning heavily this year. When they were in the counter of the city planning department, they were told that the city record for this house with the living area is only 1360 sq.ft.(The lost size is the same as county's). They were told that before they applied Patio Enclosed, they should legalize the different part between city's and county's. They've already hired the architect to draw the exist house plan and submitted to the city hall planning department. The planning department reviewed it already, said they will contact either architect or them, but right now one month passed and no phone call has been received yet. They've contacted them several times but no answer yet. Question 1: Is it right that sometimes the city record is different from county record? If it is, whose record should be complied with? Question 2: Usually how long should the planning department review the plan? Thank you so much for your kind attention and help.
167 The owner of this residence wants to build a bathroom addition. Which Dept. of Bldg. and Safety would process the permit? And is a survey and soils report required? Thanks. - Anthony
168 What drawings are required for plan check for a 400 square foot addition? Are Title 24 calculations required to be part of the drawings?
170 On unincorporated 2.5 acre plot in the West Antelope Valley that has an existing manufactured home on it: 1. Must I pull permits to pour a concrete slab in the back yard? 2. What is the maximum size for detached patio cover/carports that do not require a permit? (I hear different stories from different salespersons, so thought I'd go to the experts.) Thanks!
171 My property is located in Altadena. Due to the recent rains, my neighbor is constructing concrete drainage channels on his hillside slope which are pitched towards my driveway, which runs downhill and parallel to our property line. I'm afraid that during a deluge, my driveway will be overburdened with the additional runoff from this recently constructed drainage apparatus and flood my swimming pool and home. Are there specific codes and permits required to divert rain runoff to an adjacent property? The channels terminate less than 5 feet from our property line. Thank you.
172 Does a hedge or thick growth of schrubbs or trees qualify as a wall? Also, what are wall height restrictions in Residential zoning for both front and side yards?
173 I am planning on purcahsing a family house in Alto Dena, and I will be remodling the property; When all permits are approve, do I need a demo permit before I remove the old roof?
174 Per Title Co. this property is zoned as "LCRAYY" I would like to know the meaning of this code. I appreciate any information you can probide. Thank you.
175 My garage is flooding every time it rains. I have 3 questions: 1) Do I need a permit to tear the structure down? 2) I would like to build a mother-in-laws quarters for my future mother-in-law who is planning on moving to California from New Jersey in the next few months. If I build the garage 15 feet from the rear property line, then I will no longer have a backyard. Are there any exceptions to the set back rules? 3) How long does it generally take to get a permit to build a mother-in-law quarters? Thank you.
176 I am an ICBO / ICC Certified Electrical / Mechanical / Plumbing / Building / Combination Building Inspector and have been for since 1999, I work for County Of Los Angeles Sanitation District, where I am an Inspector 2 level 5, LACSD currently requires that you have an Los Angeles County Deputy Concrete Certification to advance to a Inspector 3 with the Sanitation District. Does Los Angeles County Public Works have a Deputy certification for Electrical / Mechanical / Plumbing / Building??? If so what are the steps to obtain that cerification. If not I guess I will need to obtain the Deputy Concrete and would like to no those requirements. Could you forward me that information. As I stated I work for LACSD and have spoken to several of the Engineers in our Field Engineering about this matter, and they are willing to help rewrite our requirements for an Inspector III position to include other than the Los Angeles Deputy Certification which has been a long established requirement at the sanitation district but as I am sure you have seen at Public Works with today changes in the construction industry everything isn't about concrete, and with todays technology and inovations come change. Any help you can provide me with information would be of great assistance as I attempt to assist our new management from our Field Engineer Division. Sincerely Phillip R. Cooper LACSD Contructio Inspector
177 Can I used the rebars (Footings on a slab foundation) to attached a grounding wire on a new add on living space on my house. That grounding wire I'll be using only on one of the existing power outlet(receptacle) of that space for add on safety? As observe,the outlet has no wire connection on the earth grounding.
178 Us Bank would like to install a temporary portable generator at our production site at the above address. This standby generator would only be operated in the event of a loss of utility power. This site has an existing automatic transfer switch. Generator would be rented from Quinn Power. Generator has a CARB certification #114578. My question is, what information and or design drawing would I need to submit to get approval for this temporary installation. The generator would be on site for 120 to 150 days.
179 Zoning of the subject property is said to be LC M2 (manufacturing). Please advise where I may get a copy of the zoning code or a list of permitted uses under M2. Thank you
180 I am interested in purchasing a vacant lot but the street in front is 10 feet across. Can I build on a lot with a narrow street? In addition, there is a slope on the property. Are there any special permits I need to obtain and are there any special considerations ? Thanks
181 I live in an unincorporated area of Los Angeles, and I own a home that was built in 1928. I want to renovate and build an addition, and I would really like the original (or most recent) building plans for that property. Does the "City of Los Angeles" Bldg Dept have access to these original plans? Where else can I obtain them? How are the building codes followed if the orginal plans aren't available? Thank you for all your help. AIN - 5024-007-014
182 What are the requirements for building a single family residence in a flood zone area? And what are the requirements for septic systems in such areas?
183 A neighbor is adding on to her 2 rental units on her property. How can I find out if proper permits have been placed? I'm specifically concerned about the amount of off-street parking that has to be made available now that the units are being significantly enlarged. Thanks!
184 I want to apply to be certified as a Reinforced Concrete Special Inspector for LA County through the Building and Safety Division of Public Works. I have the application for testing, but I can not find the instuctions or the qualifications necessary to apply. They are not on-line any where. Please reply with the Qualifications necessary to apply, the reference material needed for the testing, the required fee for the certification, who can submit reference letters on my behalf. Thank you
185 I need to find out whether a residential pool needs to be fenced in or not. The pool itself is not currently fenced; however, the yard is enclosed and there is a self latching gate at the entrance of the yard. I am considering removing the gate, but installing a new automatic gate at the driveway leading to the yard. Please let me know if this is allowed. Also, where can I call if I have any questions about the building code as it pertains to private pools?
186 I need immediate copy of the Brown Book. Is this publication available for download on your website?
188 What residential plans are required to have the seal of a licensed architect? The form for minimum plan submittal requirements says that they must be wet sealed and signed, WHEN REQUIRED. Please verify/confirm when they are required. Also, to what extent is there grandfathering for older homes in the county that were built and added on to over the last 100 years, without permitting? Is a pre-permit inspection and approval required before a new addition permit can be given? If so, what will this inspection entail, and what upgrades will likely be required? The existing house is approximately 1000 SF, built by the owner's grandfather and added on to / upgraded over time by various family members. The proposed addition is approximately 450 SF attached the back end of the house with little or no remodeling to the existing house, other than to connect the two.
189 I would like to purchase a copy of the "Greenbook". Do you publish this or could you direct me to an agency or vendor that sells this?
190 We wish to build a garage on our property. What is the setback. Thank you
191 For additional room to my existing residential house: What sewer/drain pipe size do I use for Toilet drain & vent? for bath tub drain & vent? for bathroom wash basin drain & vent? What pipe material should I use? ABS,PVC or metal? Can I run sewer/drain pipe through exterior/interior footing (footing is 24 inches deep)? What maximum distance from toilet other fixtures (bath tub, wash basin or sink) must the vent be placed? What is the minimum grade/slope required forthe sewer/drain line (for back flow prevention)?
192 Do you have a Cost Estimate Unit Price list for commercial/industrial and/or residential construction?
193 We just purchase this property and we have foundation problems and they have suggested to have drainage work done...we cant seem to find any one to get this job done any suggestion would help thank you very much...
194 Where can I get a permit to repair my roof? Do I need a permit to remodel my bathroom and kitchen?
195 We have a customer planning to install one of our test systems, which uses 20A 3-Phase 208VAC power. I need to find out if this test system will require an NRTL certification in order to be installed in Torrance. I appreciate your assistance. Best Regards, Keri Jurjovec Agilent Technologies
196 Do i need to get a permit to build a carport in the rear of my house that would measure approximately 6'h x 10'W x 25'L? What would a permit to build this carport cost me? Do i have to get a licensed contractor to build it for me or can i hire anyone? Would an inspector want to come and supervise the work? If so, would he also want to check the rest of my house and surrounding structures, even though he's just there for the building of the carport? Any information is appreciated. thanks
197 Is PEX (crosslinked polyethylene) an approved material to repipe a home?
198 The County put in a sewer line prior to Agoura Hills being incorporated. House laterals were put up to the property lines. A year ago we had a house built and they connected to the lateral. After awhile, the sewage began to come up through the asphalt. It is claimed that the cause of sewer problem was the lateral was never hooked up to the main. 2 questions: 1. Why wouldn't the Contrator connect the lateral to the main? 2. How does the County handle claims like this?
199 What is the stair requirement for riser height and tread depth? Also, for the truss loading, is there a specific wind design method? What is the Exposure Category? Is there a Live Load (Ground or Roof psf)requirement? What is the wind velocity in Miles Per Hour?
200 What are the requirements of Title 24, as it concerns the probable increase in energy consumption, of a single story, single family dwelling that is opened to access a proposed permitted addition of a solarium, and what are the steps that the builder of the solarium is required to take in order to be in compliance with Title 24?
201 I would like to upgrade my main electrical box and what upgrade is suitable for proper use.House was built in 1955
202 What are the code requirements regarding fireplaces in new single family residential construction [already under permit]. In particular, I want to know requirements pertaining to screens on pre-fab gas log fireplaces as well as wood burning masonry firepalces, in a living room and/or master bedroom. Thank you.
203 I live in the county section of Pasadena and my house is on a septic system. Most of the houses in this area have been connected to the main sewer that was installed a few years ago. What is the process for connecting my house to the main sewer line?
204 Please provide some direction with regard to requesting a Plot Plan Review. For what I believe is a Yard Modification request. I'm planning to build a retaining wall and a block wall, apparently there is an issue regarding the height of the wall.
205 I recently had a swimming pool installed by a licensed contractor. There is NOT a drain on the pool... in other words, too much water (either from rains or a leaky valve in the auto-fill) causes the pool to overflow. Are there any construction guidelines/requirements to install a working drain in the swimming pool? Thanks in advance for your help!
206 Is a permit required for a concrete driveway? What are the requirements for amount/depth of concrete, expansion joint distance per joint, and underlayments such as vapor barrier,ect? Thank you
207 Form to order a new tentative tract map number.
208 I know that in the past residence in areas not far from where I live have been compensated for having to put up with the disruptions of construction projects. I am wondering who to contact about a compensation for consideration of construction on my block (right out my window). I moved into my residence almost 4 years ago in a nice clean and quite neighborhood. Less than two months later a construction company started tearing down three buildings right next to me to build a larger condominium building. I hadn't lived there soon enough to fight the construction, and might not have, but the construction has gone on, and is still going on today. When I had moved in almost 4 years ago I had just purchased a new black car, and it has gotten dirty from the construction for almost 4 years. Other buildings the same size (at least 3 buildings) and much more elaborate have gone up around the block from this building in less than one year, and are already selling. My neighbors and I believe that this contractor owes us compensation for almost 4 years of construction for not having parking, for making our nice clean quite neighborhood look like a construction zone for so long. We pay high rent, but have to pay for on-street permit parking to which they have taken half of for all this time. The time that they have taken to build this building is unreasonable and we believe we should be compensated for the abuse of time and discern that they have shown all my neighbors and I, continually lying about when they will be done. Also in reading another persons question, and your reply of times they can work, they have blocked off our parking from m-sat 6am-6pm, and sometimes leaving there cones out blocking parking over the whole weekend (when there was no work being done on the parking area) were they allowed to do that. Any help that you can give me would be much appreciated.
209 What is the maximum slope allowed for a driveway. What is the minimum width allowed? What is the minimum radius allowed for the driveway approach? The lot is on a hillside.
210 I'm trying to find the property use code, is this property solely a residential use, or mixed use/commercial use?
211 My house and the house next door share the approach to our driveways which is also shared by a house in the canyon below us. We are aware that this situation was caused by a utility easement which the canyon house has used for many years. He is now trying to sell and is trying to get one or both of us to move our walls to give him a two lane driveway. He is a Real Estate attorney and is using scare tactics to try and convince us he has some right to our property. The Assessors map shows our lots meeting and does not display any information on this driveway. Does he have any right to make the easement area wider? Is there anywhere where this situation would have been documented when his house was built (approx 10 years after our houses)?
212 I would like copies of the building permit for the second home on the lot in question. In addition I would like a copy of the certificate of occupancy. I believe that the original address is 1832 E. 110th st, the second home on the lot has an address of 1834 E. 110th st. It was built last year (2004) around November. Question #1 Can I get these documents on line ? Question #2 If i can not get them on line, what specific office do i need to go to in order to get a copy of them. Question # 3 What is it going to cost me to get the documents? Question # 4 Can I get a copy or does the owner on title need to go in?
213 i own and live in a 4 unit building with a small front lawn. i currently do not have any parking on the property. i would like to pave part of the front lawn to create a parking area and would need to create an easement from street onto the yard to do this. is this possible? if so, i expect i would need a permit to create an easement from street to parking. where would i obtain it?
214 I am having a contractor replace my central air conditioning system with a newer more efficient model. I am having the work done by Sears who contracted out the installation to a local licensed contractor. The contractor just recently installed the AC unit and I am concerned that the installation is not to code (which by contract they were required to do.) For example, the AC unit is placed directly in front of an electral junction box therefore blocking access to it. Where can I find the building code requirements/standards for AC installations. I am interested in setback requirements from house and/or clearances from electral equipment and support/foundation requirements for the AC unit itself and for the copper refrigerant lines. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
215 I am removing a wall in my bathroom to expand the shower as well as repositioning the drain valve. Also, I am creating a walk in closet. What, if any, permits would be required?
216 I need infomation on building a fence around the pool. Is it is nessesary if we dont have kids, nor do our surrounding homes have any kids? Will our exsiting fence be enough or would we need more. Do kids play a role in building a fence or not?
217 I am removing all of my existing stucco and lathing and having a contrator install new lathing and stucco. He says that I need to obtain a permit for this new stucco. What kind of permit do I need, and which office do I go to? Will an inspection be required?
218 I am in the process of preparing a grading plans for the project involving dining area addition to the existing restaurant. Where can I obtain general grading notes that typically goes on the first page/plan of the grading plans? Thank you.
219 Is the raised curb in the garage that the sill plate rests on required in new construction?
220 Who can I refer citizens to when they are reporting a bee hive in a tree or building on County road right of way? Also, who can I refer them to if they live in County area and the bee hive is located on private property?
221 Good Morning, I have been renting a house, in which, the garage was converted into a business, the owner got a letter which says that we have 30 days to move. What are my rights to evacuate this place?
222 Water services need to be installed in LA County Flood Control District's (LACFCD) easement. What LACFCD permits do I need to install these water services? The developer of this site has the necessary permits to connect to the proposed water services. Also how are these LACFCD permits obtained? Can you provide me with a contact?
223 Do I need to apply for a permit if I am installing a new water heater?
224 What are the required processes to have a well on your property?
225 I have obtained a building permit for a project of mine. The project is not going to take place anymore. How do I obtain a refund for this permit.
227 I have just received a faxed copy of EMC 82-8. I'm grateful to have received it. I suspect it is not the only section I need. Unless there is a copyright issue (very doubtful), it would be extremely helpful to have the entire Electrical Code Manual available online.
228 I could not find the phone number for the record of survey and survey records public counter
229 What are the allowed hours and days of construction permitted so as not to disturb the neighborhood? A house demolition and re-building project is taking place in my neighborhood and work goes on into the late night hours and on weekends. We need to know if perhaps there may be a violation. We are interested in maintaining good relationships with the owners but are now lacking sleep! Thank you.
230 I would like to put up a 4-ft garden wall using keystone retaining wall system in front of my home I have a slope of 4ft in 15ft and would do 2 part step up of 2ft4ft flat and then 2ft will I need a permit
231 Is it possible to use A1 zoning vacant land as a parking lot or Annex bldg for adjacent (appx.1,500ft away) church?
232 How can I get a permit to remove an OAK TREE in my front yard which has it's root cracking my front yard and possibly damaging base of my house.
233 What can I do about towing away cars that have not been moved for over 48 hours? There is a vehicle parked in front of my house without license plates that has not been moved for days.
234 We have a condo. The association had new roofs installed and said if we were considering skylights we should have it done now. Several of us made a quick decision and used the suggested contractor to install several Solatubes and one skylight (in garage). We assumed the contractor was taking care of permits. Are there any codes for skylights ? What permits, if any, are required ?
235 I want to widden my driveway by 18 inches and need to determine if I need a permit to change the curb cut for the driveway. If I need to contact another office, please advise me, Thank you for your assistance.
236 A constituent called our office re: a couch that her neighbor has placed in the driveway. Are there any ordinances regarding placing your own furniture in your own driveway?
237 1) Are the design guidelines for the preparation of engineering plans for street design/ improvements available on-line?. Where can I find them? 2) Do you have a Flow Chart that will depict the street improvement approval process and all the department, divisions and agencies involved? Thank you.
238 What are the necessary steps required to get issued a Tract No. for this location?
239 Can you please tell me what are the submittal requirements for Grading Plan check. i.e, number of plan copies, plan fees, application's, reports, etc.
240 Would it be possible to provide me with a web link or address of where to find when a Tract was recorded. Thanks! Josie
241 Can you please send me the URL where I can find Standard Specifications for Public works construction 2-5,2-6 ETC Thank you
242 How do I obtain Sewer Maintenance Disvision index maps for the sewer in a project area? Are these available online?
243 Please forward me a copy of Land development fee schedule. I am trying to find out, what entails in processing final map of proposed 6 single family subdivision. Thanks.
244 can I obtain recorded maps in the area of this property via the internet? if so , how do we complete the research in order to know which maps to purchase? Jim Meyer, PLS
245 How do I find the zoning for a parcel of land in Topanga Canyon 4446-010-006, 007 Thanks. TR
246 I am looking for standard blank sheet for street improvement and sewer plan and general notes as well. I couldn't find in your web site. If you can email to me the drawing file that would be great or tell me where in your web site I can find it. thanks and have a great day Nazi
247 I work for a non-profit, non-discriminatory employee advocacy organization located in Los Angeles. It is my understanding that some surplus property is auctioned off to the public without price control and to low-income individuals at a reduction in price, and in some cases, at no cost at all. Would you advise if any property in Los Angeles has the potential of being purchased by an agency at a reduced rate or as a closed-auction purchase.
248 I was wondering if I could receive information pertaining to the construction and demolition ordinance? Just wanted to know cost implications and tipping fees and well as other associated fees with implementing the ordinance? County of Riverside is considering drafting a C & D Ordinance and would like as much info as possible. Thank You Jackie Vandenburgh
249 What is the online address for Public Works open and closed bid listings, bid results, and closed bids/award listings?
250 Our heater is not venting properly and when a plumber was investigating the problem, he notified us that the vent was made of asbestos which makes fixing the problem more complicated and expensive. Is asbestos removal included in the REHAB or some other county sponsored program?
251 I have a questions regarding street improvement plans for AIN # 3006-008-002. I have conditions that were issued with conditional use permit no. R2004-00444. The conditions require that a 50' right of way be dedicated which is an additional 20'. My question is that the rest of the street has a 40' half width and the existing curb & gutter that we would be connecting to is 30' off of centerline. according to a 50' halfwidth the curb would be at 42' from centerline. i need to know what is required for sure, as the 50' halfwidth does not fit with the surrounding properties. Please let me know who I would need to speak to regarding this matter.
252 Where can I obtain information regarding property zoning for unincorporated areas of LA County?
253 I recently inquired about refunding Permit Fees for cancelled residential development permits. From your response: Section 107.12 of the 2002 LACBC covers refunds and states that should no portion of the work or construction covered by a permit shall have been commenced, and such permit has been cancelled, the permittee can request a refund in an amount of 80 percent of the permit fee. Please note that plan check fees cannot be refunded. However, is there a time limit for requesting a refund on permit fees? In others words, must I request refund within the fiscal year of the permit's expiration? Thank you for your time.
254 Where do I go to get permits for my house?
255 Do I need a permit to construct a block wall (fence) on my property?
256 My name is Hannah Snyder and I am a student at Pomona College. As part of a final project, I am developing a citizen strategy report for Coyote Creek. I am interested in any information you have about the pollutants and challenges facing the creek, the major stakeholders and communities that are interested in the health of the creek, as well as any projects or plans relating to the creek. I would also love to get the contact information of anyone who might be able to answer further questions.
257 I'm building a composter out of a 55 gallon drum and wanted to know if I should drill holes in it to let air in.
258 Who do I contact for a permit to be able to park my food truck in the parking lot of my business?
259 How do I report a broken fire hydrant?
260 Can I download recorded tract maps from your internet web site ?
261 I plan to excavate my backyard which is 3 feet above ground in order to build a second unit. Do I need a permit to excavate? If yes, where should I get the permit and what are the requirements? Thank you.
262 I have a fire hydrant located in front of my residence and motorists are not following the parking code of 15 feet on either side of the hydrant. Is it possible to have that section painted red to alert motorists?
263 i have reported a graffitti problem on my street and received an email that it had been cleaned up. that email was false as nothing was done. i have repeatedly called your grafitti abatement office at 626-458-2542 (erica meza) and keep getting a recording. nobody has returned my calls. is there another number that i can call a talk with a human being??
264 I have a vacant lot and there are no existing fences or boundaries. How can I get the parcel properly marked and find out what the exact borders are?
265 I am looking for a digital copy of the County Highway Permit Ordinance.
266 I received your contact information from Brett Dingman form the Las Virgenes Municipal Water District. I am a contractor working with Target Corporation. Would you be able to send me any permit requirements or any continuing obligations there are for wastewater, specifically grease traps under the L.A. County Public WorksÂ’ jurisdiction. My job is to make sure that any new stores that may be constructed have all the appropriate wastewater permits/notifications in place, or are working toward that end. The subject of the permitting is a Target Store located in Westlake Village. It is my understanding that all the construction permits have been secured. Now I am just looking into any of the operating permits.
267 What are the 5 alternate grease disposal methods when applying for a grease permit for a restaurant
268 GMED, A requirement from LA COunty Plan Checker, Nazem Said for a grading plan at Tract #71925 is the approval of a soils report letter (attached). Please le tus know who we can send this to for approval. Thank you, Matthew Frazier
269 Dear to whom this may concern I am interested in acquiring land to build my business and I see on that there are many of them owned publicly. I was wondering, how can I find out which of those lots are available for purchase and whom I would need to contact. thank you very much. best regards Sevada
270 I am trying to find the Code for determining occupancy loads for commercial space. I am trying to calculate the exits required per square feet of space. And I think it also takes into account how many people work in the space.
271 As a real estate appraiser I get asked if an earthquake gas meter shut~off is required when you do a refinance on a home. I believe it was required in LA county on a transfer of sale only. Pls. qualify. Thanks, Kurt
272 I was able to visit your site "" until you changed your site. What is the new link to get to the records section.
273 I am submitting a Parcel Map in Incorporated Arcadia. Will you be doing the map check or the city?

Still can't find your information? Edit your Search Criteria or Ask your Question
Search for: [ Advanced Search ]
To search, enter keyword(s) found in the frequently asked questions or answers.

Adobe Reader